Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What is the very best cat litter for odor control?

We have a new house and I had to put the litter box in the downstairs sm bathroom. I have tried so many different litters and I still can smell it. I am very conscientious about removing waste, still I have an odor.


Has anyone had a really good experience with one litter they would recommend. Thank you......What is the very best cat litter for odor control?
The best thing I've use are compressed wood pellets. Best kitty litter in my opinion. Turns to saw dust when wet. Smells like wood and it's much cleaner because it doesn't stick to their paws as much when they come out of the box. It's also environmentally friendly as well as flush-able (bonus!).


Some cats need time to get use to it. In order to avoid mistakes in your new house you can start by mixing some in his regular stuff and adding more over time while putting less of the old stuff.


If you have an intact male cat, nothing is going to get ride of smell except for a neutering.


I hope this works for you! I know I hated the odor too, and this was a life saver! :)What is the very best cat litter for odor control?
Nothing. I have tried every brand. The best thing I came across was an inclosed litter box that has charcoal filter liners you put in a vent on the lid. That helped a lot.


You can train your cat to go outside like a dog. Put the cats litterbox outside the back door and take the cat to it every few hours. Then bring her back inside. Eventually, you can move the box farther from the door to some bushes. If you are worried about her running off, you can use a leash and give her a bite of tuna when you return in the house. The cat will associate returning inside to a nice treat.
I tried Fresh Step and it worked great for the odor, but it gets caught on his paws a little bit and he tracked it all over the bathroom when he stepped out of his litter box. I switched over to the pine wood pellets and it is GREAT! It hides the odor and it doesn't get tracked around. It is also a better choice environmentally. It is actually a little bit cheaper too. They also make ';Yesterdays News'; litter that is little pellets of recycled newspaper that can not be tracked around the house. But I have not actually tried this one.


Good luck getting rid of the odor...I know it can be frustrating!
I agree with Linda (first reply). Go with activated carbon to eliminate the odor. I've had cats for years and currently two litter boxes. No matter what litter I use, still seems to smell some. Awhile ago, a cat shelter recommended a product called Innofresh pet litter box odor absorber. Totally unscented activated carbon which I love. Works like a charm and all I do is clip a couple of them onto the side or lid and that's it. Love that it's unscented so I know it's getting rid of odor, not just covering it up.


I get these easily on line - go to www.innofresh.com
FRESH STEP, i tried them all and this stuff smells great, like soap. i know when my cat has used the litter box because the bathroom smells GOOD! don't get the cheap stuff, i'm pretty frugal and it is well worth the extra money for the clumping stuff.
I use the fresh step which works well enough but I also put a glade plug in scented oil into the bathroom where the litter box is and now even if I forget to clean it that day you don't notice the smell at all.
I tried Arm %26amp; Hammer cat litter with odor blocking crystals- it worked fairly well (I had 3 cats)
FRESH STEP WHEN PEOPLE COME TO MY HOUSE THEY HAVE NO IDEAL I HAVE A CAT I ALSO SCOOP HER BOX EVERY DAY.
fresh step

No comments:

Post a Comment