Friday, February 12, 2010

How effective is the second month of birth control when just started?

I just started birth control pills. My pharmacist said the first pack is not very effective. When I started the second pack (that first day) I had unprotected sex and since then. I even missed a day in the first pack. Should I be worried about getting pregnant?How effective is the second month of birth control when just started?
No you'll be fine. That was odd of your pharmacist to say that. Normally you're protected after 7 days of active pills. It's possible it wouldn't work as you missed a day in the first pack but it depends when you missed it. BTW if you're going to be relying on the pill from now on don't miss any more!





HarrietHow effective is the second month of birth control when just started?
Have you had a period since starting the second pack?





Assuming you have, you should be fine even though you missed a day. Although it depends on where you were in your cycle when you missed. Normally you need to use backup protection during the first pack of pills, but now that you're on the second pack you should expect to be protected (provided they're taken regularly). I've read where some women are protected within the first week or two of starting a brand new pack for the first time, but I wouldn't want to play Russian roulette and find out if I'm one of those women. LOL Definitely double up during the first cycle.





ETA: I would say the degree-holding pharmacist knows what he is talking about but is just erring on the side of caution. :?
Well, when I first started birth control I was told by my doctor to wait 7 days before having unprotected sex so obviously the first pack is effective. That;s ridiculous take them for a whole month and you're still not protected. Don't listen to that pharmacist you will be protected. But I will say when you miss a pill you just never know. Although if you take it soon as you remember and keep taking the others timely then you should be fine. I haven't gotten pregnant and I've missed more than one in a month before. Just always go and take it when u remember.
no


if you follow the rules it works in the first week or the first day depending on if u are a Sunday starter or u start the day your period starts

No comments:

Post a Comment